Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 9, 2017

The Great Comet


Last night I saw Dave Malloy's wonderful musical Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812 and reviewed it for parterre box here. Suffice to say I enjoyed it very much and recommend it to people looking for a fun night at the theater. Josh Groban and Denée Benton are amazing. A blurb from my review:

I never made it through more than a few chapters of any Tolstoy work. And I never made it through Chapter One, Volume One of War and Peace. Yeah, I know. I suck. Turns out I was just not using the left side of my brain, because War and Peace can actually be a fun, entertaining, lighthearted musical. 
The travails of Natasha, Pierre, Andrey, Anatole, and company are really a funny, tongue-in-cheek soap opera. Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812 is one of those improbable shows that  throws in everything, including the kitchen sink, cabinet and refrigerator, and somehow the final product just works.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to bother you, Ivy, but I have a favor to ask on totally unrelated issue. Several patrons on parterre are looking for a broadcast of Les Huguenots from Berlin and can't find it on youtube. Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk_gVgqvY6M. Do you mind posting the link? I couldn't figure out how to do it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete